Upper Hutt, Wellington, New Zealand
Landscape Architect : Wraight + Associates
Client : Upper Hutt City Council
Project Status: Completed
Logan Plaza is a relatively small space that marks the entry into the extended and refurbished Upper Hutt Shopping Mall.
- Create a pubic interface between the commercial mall, public street and existing car park.
- Creatively mitigate levels change between street and mall entry.
- Provides much needed public outdoor space diffusing the dominance of the adjacent existing asphalt car park
- Optimises pedestrian links from Russell and Main Streets and the surrounding parking areas to both improve amenity and accessibility for users of the public domain and to maximise foot traffic to the Main Street retail areas and Logan Plaza Mall.
- Addresses a topographically complex site – the mall entry is set below street level. A playful composition of seating, retaining and planting elements resolve the level change drawing visitors to the mall’s main entry.
- Continuity of surface treatment in conjunction with a tree planting strategy unifies the Logan Plaza, Logan Street and Russell Street spaces.
- Amenity of adjacent peripheral areas, such as the café terrace next to the existing shops and the shared access way from Main and Russell Streets, are enhanced and become inviting and flexible spaces in their own right.