Queen Charlotte Sound, Marlborough
Landscape Architect : Wraight + Associates Ltd
Architecture : Tennent + Brown Architects
Project Status: Completed
The site sits on an elevated platform approximately 148m above sea level. This elevated position yields remarkable views east across the sound and to the south across the fertile Anakiwa Valley.
- Settle the new house into its hillside setting.
- Create a series of outdoor rooms that feed into the building’s interior functions.
- Provide access, amenity and circulation.
- External spaces are arranged to capture views whilst offering good solar access and protection from prevailing winds.
- Plant selection for this proposal relies heavily upon a palette of trees, shrubs and ground covers found locally.
- The garden encompasses a number of outdoor terrace rooms that feed the internal built spaces at a number of elevations. Playfully engaging with the site’s complex topography.
- On site rain water harvesting.
- Low water use garden.