Waikanae, Aotearoa New Zealand
Landscape Architect : Wraight + Associates
Architect : Athfield Architects
Project Status: Completed
This private garden is located in an exposed coastal environment on sand dunes.
- Settle the proposed house development into its coastal edge environment.
- Provide a variety of garden spaces that range from cultivated entertainment spaces to exposed expanses that harness the wild coastal setting.
- Use of endemic coastal species to accentuate landform, offer amenity and provide dune stabilisation.
- Establishment of a series of garden spaces that transit from cultivated garden immediately adjacent the house, through centrally located formal native gardens with lawns to the wilder dunal colonies at the site’s outer edges.
- Storm water collection and reuse in dedicated water features and ephemeral lagoon.
- Gabion retaining wall features
- Minimalist materials palette that is intersected and augmented by planted interventions.