Whitireia Library Learning Centre, Porirua, NZ
Porirua, Aotearoa New Zealand
Landscape Architect : Wraight + Associates
Architect : Athfield Architects
Engineer : SKM
Client : Whitireia Polytechnic
Project Status: Completed
- Develop Library Learning Centre in accordance with the Whitireia Campus Master Plan (WCMP).
- Develop a site identity that is unique to the Whitireia Campus, responds to challenging physical site conditions and compliments the facility’s educational and community goals.
- Create flexible, comfortable and practical external space that can accommodate a range of uses and gathering types.
- Provide on-site parking.
- The Library Learning landscape harnesses the site’s challenging physical conditions – poor ground conditions and strong northerly salt laden winds – to develop a series of sunken reed gardens, tightly planted tree copses and sheltered open spaces.
- The landscape narrative, in communion with the new Library Learning facility, hinges on the site’s harbour side location, employing a metaphorical abstraction of the landed waka transitioning from sea to shelter to define spatial order.
- Pavement storm water run-off is detained and filtered through sunken reed gardens that dissect the car parking area and frame buildings
- Harvested roof run-off is captured and reticulated within a large water-feature annexed off the building’s eastern facade.
- Excess roof-run off is discharged into the adjacent constructed ephemeral wetland that ‘stitches’ the Library Learning Centre into its harbour context.
- New pedestrian circulation routes provide clear campus navigation cues and amenity whilst existing circulation routes are upgraded and clarified.
Bronze Award NZILA for commercial/industrial/institutional design – 2006