Christchurch Polytechnic, Aotearoa New Zealand
Landscape Architect : Wraight + Associates
Architect : Athfield Architects
Client : Christchurch Polytechnic
Project Status: Completed
Charged with formulating a landscape concept for surface car parking, main pedestrian entry and courtyard space associated with the Rakaia development, Wā collaborated with Athfield Architects to develop an integrated building-landscape design that provides a distinctive, cohesive campus experience that encourages occupation of the outdoor environment.
- Provide a high value street interface that improves the urban design value of the street and
ensures high visibility for the new Polytechnic facilities.
- Create a strong landscape character within which surface car parking facilities can be integrated
whilst providing visual amenity.
- Create clear legible pedestrian links that provide safe and visually attractive routes from the street and car park to the building’s main entry.
- Compliments the building’s internal uses with external courtyard and break out spaces to accommodate gatherings of various scales and various passive recreational uses.
- Provides seamless connection between the new facility and the existing campus.
- Creates a composition that is visually engaging, comfortable and functional.
- The site’s underlying geology of layered riverbeds is revealed through a play of elements using the riverstone as form and material.